My 18 times great grandfather, Roger de Pyvelesdon, was born in Pyvelesdon (now called Puleston), near Newport, Shropshire, about 1205. He was the son of Sir Richard de Pyvelesdon.
ROGER'S WIFE AND CHILDREN
Roger married Agnes Monthermer, who was born about 1209.
They had 4 sons and 1 daughter:
- Thomas, who married in 1259 Helen, niece of Michael Tovey (who was mayor of London in 1244 and 1248). Thomas was an eminent London merchant and held several appointments;
- 1256 Appointed Collector of the Sicilian tenths
- 1257 Granted letters of protection while on the King's business in Ireland
- 1261 Appointed the King's personal proctor at the Court of France
- 1262 Appointed a Justice "for the keeping of the Jews"
- 1263 Appointed a Royal Justice
- 1264 Appointed a Constable of London
Thomas supported Simon de Montford's rebellion and was with him at the Battle of Lewes on 14 May 1264. After de Montfort was killed at Evesham in 1265, Thomas was arrested and imprisoned in Dover Castle and his houses were granted to Hugh, son of the King of Almain, and Edward, the King's son, was granted the lands and goods of Thomas's son, Thomas.
In 1272, Roger the Parson called Thomas de Pyvelesdon to warrant the Charter by which Roger de Pyvelesdon, his father, had conveted a third of 2 messuages and one noke in Strirchley to Roger the Parson. It was first stated in excuse of thomas de Pyvelesdon's appearance that he was in the prison of Doverya, but afterwards that Agnes, Roger de Pyvelsdon's widow, had everything for life. The Court decided that the plaintiffs should at once recover Edith Aleyn's dower from Roger the Parson, but that Roger should be entitled to a further recovery against the heir of Thomas [sic] de Pyvelesdon, on the death of Agnes (Assizes, 56 henry II, m. 4 dorso, mentioned ion page 122 of Volume 8 of Eyton's Salop).
Between 1272 and 1278, Master Thomas, son and heir of Roger, in the King's prison, attested charters of Shrewsbury Abbey. Thomas was pardoned in 1275, released from Dover Castle in 1276 and died in 1277. It has been suggested that Thomas was buried in the churchyard of Abererch church, Caernarfonshire, but the present church was not built until the 14th century.
Thomas had 2 sons, Thomas and Roger. Many records survive of Roger's life in Shropshire in the years between 1288 and 1311.
- Roger de Pyvelesdon, my 17 times great grandfather, born about 1229
- Richard, who with his brothers Thomas and Roger was imprisoned in the Tower of London for supporting Simon de Montfort's rebellion. Richard took possession of Emral from Emma de Audley not later than 1277 and surrendered it to King Edward I in 1279: "Carta Ric'i de Pyvelsdon p'quam reddidit Regi Edwardo omnes terras et tenementa que de ipso Rege tenuit in Worthingbury in p'tibus de Mayelor Seysenik, dat. an. regni ipsius Regis VII et virotul in rubro libro scaccarii".
Richard and his brother Roger were at Rhuddlan Castle on 20 March 1284 (12 Edward I). Richard was appointed Sheriff of Caernarfon at a salary of £40 a year:
"Rex has literas suas palentes dat. apud Rotheland concessit officium vice-comitis Comitat. Caernarvon (quamdiu sibi placuerit) Magistro Rico de Pyvelisdon cum annuali feodo 40 librarum".
In October 1284, Richard arranged the Feast and Tournament held at Nefyn by King Edward I to celebrate the conquest of North Wales - the Treasurer's accounts record that Richard was paid £12 13s 4d for 40 quarters of wheat and 26s 8d for two ovens made by him at Nefyn.
In 1286, Richard received his annual salary of £40, plus £20 arrears.
In the Emral pedigree, Richard is stated to have been of Flotesbrook, Salop, 20 Edward I (1292).
Richard remained Sheriff of Caernarfonshire for 11 years until 1295, when he resigned (perhaps due to his brother Roger being lynched in Caernarfon by Welsh rebels in 1294). Richard had a son, Jordanus de Pyvelesdon.
- Jordan. Between 1264 and 1266 it appears that Jordan took part in the Barons' War under Simon de Montfort and against the King.
Shortly after 1266, Flashbrook was sold by Richard de Flotesbroc to Jordan de Puleston. Some time between 1266 and 1275, he became lord of Flotesbroc. He stood surety for Richard de Flotesbroke, who brought a writ of novel disseisin against William, son of William de Rouel of Oldeton, respecting common of pasture in Northburi and Oldeton (Oulton), and who withdrew his plea at a hearing in the Spring of 1279.
On 28 June 1270, King Henry III granted Jordan de Pyvelesdon letters of protection for four years to accompany the King to the Holy Land on a crusade.
In January 1277, Jordan de Pyvlesdon sued Richard son of William de Albaston [Adbaston, which is about two miles N.E. of Flashbrook] for a messuage and three nokes of land in Albaston by open writ of right (per breve de recto patens), and stated that one Ouyel (Howell), his ancestor in the time of King John, was seised of it as of fee, and from Ouel the right descended to William his son and heir, and from William, who died without issue, to Henry his brother and heir, and from Henry, who took religious orders, to John his brother and heir, and from John, who died without issue, to one Agnes [no relationship named], and from Agnes to Richard her son and heir, and from Richard, who died without issue, to William his brother and heir, and from William, who died without issue, to Jordan his brother and heir, who now sues. Richard appeared and called to warranty Hamon de Albaston, who came and warranted the tenement to him, and denied the seisin of Ouyel the ancestor. A day was given to the parties at Trinity, when four Knights were to be summoned to elect the jury.
Between 1 August 1306 and 29 September 1306, Thomas de Flashbrook and Roger his brother brought an action to recover £300 due from Jordan de Flashbrook.
Jordan married Alice de Chetwynde (daughter of Adam de Chetwynde and Eva de Oswaldestre) and had 3 sons, Thomas, Richard and Roger. All three sons are mentioned in many late 13th/early 14th century Shropshire records.
- Alice, born about 1230, who married Robert de Harley (born about 1223, son of Sir Nicholas de Harley and Isabella de Mytton), by whom she had a son, Sir Philip de Harley. A charter of 1255 confirms that Roger de Pyvelesdon grants to Robert de Harlegh in frank marriage with Alice his daughter half a mark annual rent which William de Dirwill paid for a tenement held under the grantor in the vill of Farlawe (or Farlow), co. Salop (Dugdale's Manuscripts, volume xxxix, folio 80).
ROGER'S PART IN PUBLIC LIFE
Some time between 1226 and 1240, Roger de Pyvelesdon and others (including Odo de Hodenet)witnessed a document executed by Philip de Burwardesle confirming to Ralph Cutuel, Clerk, a grant of land which he had previously given to Geoffrey Fitz Nicholas (page 16, Volume 2, Robert William Eyton's "Antiquities of Shropshire", referred to elsewhere as Eyton's Salop).
About 1240, Roger witnessed a deed by Richard de Tunstall in favour of the Abbey of Combermere (page 201 of Volume 2 of Eyton's Salop) and another by Hugh de Stanworthin in favour of Shrewsbury Abbey (page 136, Volume 10).
In 1241, Roger de Pyvelesdon, then County Clerk for Shropshire, with Lord John le Strange, then its Sheriff, witnessed an agreement between Sir Odo de Hodenet, son of Sir Baldwin de Hodenet, and the Abbot of Shrewsbury (Shropshire Chartulary, No. 26, 406 and vol. ii, page 313). The same year (1241), Roger was appointed Sheriff (or possibly Deputy Sheriff) of Shropshire. Also in 1241, Roger, with Roger de Grovos, Hugh son of Robert, William de Hadlega and others, attested a grant of confirmation made by Sir William Banastr to the Canons of Haghmond, by which he confirmed various grants made by his father and his predecessors as to lands in Hardewick, Caldenhulle and Shelttewall (Haghmond Chartulary, folio 1041).
According to Eyton's Salop, Roger was appointed Sheriff (or possibly Deputy Sheriff) of Shropshire and Staffordshire in 1242.
In 1242, an inquest was held before Roger and 3 others (with 11 jurors) to determine certain rights of the Abbot of Lilleshall Abbey.
Roger was one of 7 witnesses to a deed, some time between 1247 and 1253, by which, in exchange for a payment of £5 to Henry de Audley, the duty of the burgesses of Newport to take fish from the fish farm at Newport to the King's Court, wherever in the country it happened to be, was limited to taking the fish within Shropshire.
During the same period, Roger also witnessed a Grant by Madoc, Lord of Sutton, to Wombridge Priory (see Wombridge Chartulary, Tit. Brocton and Sutton Madoke, No. lxxx, referred to on page 119 of Volume 2 of Eyton's Salop).
About 1250, Roger de Pyvelsdon was a witnessed to a grant by Adam Fitz William, Clerk of Middleton, to the Prior of Wenlock of all his right to a virgate of land at Mittleton , such right apparently amounting to a sum of 13 1/2 merks (= £9) which Richard son of Alan, the priest of Burewarton, owed to Adam for that land (page 399, Volume 3, Eyton's Salop).
Between 1251 and 1261, Roger de Pyvelesdon witnessed a Deed, relating to Oxenbold Park, between Sir Humbert, Prior of Wenlock and Roger Fitz William of Corfhull (page 24, Volume 4, Eyton's Salop). The original deed is in Staffordshire Record Office, ref. D938/728.
About 1252-3, Edelina, daughter of Durandus the Priest, Widow, gave to Haugmond Abbey two messuages in Novo Burgo (Newport), namely those which Durandus bought and gave to her. The Abbot was to pay Edelina a life annuity of 4 shillings and to provide her with a daily Corrody of bread and beer. If Roger, son of Stephen, son of the said Edelina, survived her, he was to receive an annuity for life of 4 shillings, but not the Corrody. Edelina gave the Abbot seizin in the Full Hundred-Court of Novus Burgus before Roger de Pivelesdon and others (page 136 of Volume 9 of Eyton's Salop).
In 1253, Roger is named as the second juror in the Grand Inquest of 10 May 37 Henry III as to whether the King or John Fitz Alan were entitled to the custody of the Abbey of Haghmond during its vacancy by death or otherwise.
He was knighted by the King, probably before 1254. (Eyton's Salop, Volume 8, page 96).
In 39 Henry III (1255), Roger de Pyvelesdon, as custos of the son and heir to John de Dodynton, "which he hath of the gift of John Fitz Alan, held [the manor of] Dodynton [Detton], in which is 1 1/2 hides, and it does suit at Hundred Court, and pays 6d for Stretward, and 12 pence Motfee (Rot. Hundred, volume ii, page 81, also mentioned on page 282, Volume 4, Eyton's Salop).
Also in 1255, Roger is also mentioned as custos of the heir of Robert de la Hulle: "Adam Wele holds 1 hide of land at ferm in la Hulle, until the age of the heir of Robert de la Hulle, from Roger de Pyvelesdon, for the 11th part of a knight's fee and does suit to the Hundred" (Rot. Hundred, volume ii, page 74, also mentioned on page 344 of Volume 4 of Eyton's Salop).
In January 1256, Roger occurs as surety for a fine proferred by the Prior of Wenlock (Eyton's Salop, Volume VIII, page 96). At the Assizes of January 1256, Johanna, widow of Walter de Beaumes, sued several undertenants in Donington for her dower. She sued Roger de Pyweledon for a third of five acres of meadow and the Prioress of Brewood for a third part of 100 acres. Johanna's suit was met by both defendants calling Roger de Beaumes to warranty, Roger de Pyweledon only claiming a terminal interest under demise of Walter de Beaumes (page 77, Volume 2, Eyton's Salop).
On 12 June 1256, King Henry III signed a Patent appointing Odo de Hodenet, Stephen de Buterley and Roger de Pivelesdon as Justiciars to make a general valuation of Ellesmere (page 239 of volume 10 of Eyton's Salop)
Between 1256 and 1269, Roger de Pivelesdone witnessed a grant by Nicholas Fitz Robert to Wenlock Priory of 5 shillings rent due from Nicholas Fitz Alan of Brocton (page 111, Volume 4, Eyton's Salop).
Between 1255 and 1260, Roger de Pyvelesdone granted to Robert de Harlegh "in frank marriage with Alice, his daughter, half a merk annual rent which William de Donvill paid for a tenement held under the grantor in the Vill of Farlawe" [Farlow] (page 192, Volume 4, Eyton's Salop)
Between 1260 and 1265, Sir Roger de Pyvelesdon, Knight, was a witness to the Wombridge Charter, by which Walter de Dunstanvill first granted a mill at Grenhull to Wombridge Priory (page 298, Volume 2, Eyton's Salop).
By an undated charter, Robert de Wodecote granted to Roger de Pyvelesdon a moiety of land called le Quelsbe." Hiis testibus He. de Chetwinde, Jordan de Pyvelesdon, Michal de Morton, James of the same" (Woodcote Evidences). Robert also granted to Roger de Pyvelesdon a virgate of land in Linden.
Mrs Sunter Harrison's booklet on The Early Pulestons says that Roger "was witness to an important Charter granted to Haughmond Abbey, later acting as juror in a case concerning the patronage of the same Abbey. He presided at a meeting held to agree about the Forest immunities of Lilleshall Abbey and he witnessed the Deeds when the Lady Edelina granted two messuages in Newport to the same Abbey. Three years later he was commissioned to make an Extent of Ellesmere and arrange to rent the same to the Barons of the Exchequer at Westminster. Perhaps the most interesting local act for which he was responsible concerned the famous Vivary, Aqualate at Newport. Under the Audley family, the burgesses had been responsible for carrying the fish from the vivary to the King's Court, wherever it might be. Roger's efforts released the burgesses of Newport from carrying the fish outside Shropshire, they paid a fine of £5."
THE PULESTON CROSS, NEWPORT
Sir Roger died in 1272 in Shropshire.
Outside St Nicholas' Church in Newport is a very-weathered 5 meter high wooden cross (called the Puleston Cross or the Butter Cross) on a sandstone base, erected in about 1280 to the memory of Sir Roger de Pyvelsdon. A deed signed in 1285 by Roger's son, Roger, refers to "the cross set up for the soul of Roger de Pyvelsdon who died in 1272". The cross was originally under the Butter Market, hence its alternative name, but was moved to its current position about 1633. The Puleston Cross was probably mutilated during the English Civl War of the 1640s.
Copyright: Haydn Puleston Jones, 2008-10